Writing about old gear can be therapeutic

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bastibe Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Writing about old gear can be therapeutic

The last few days I went through my gear list here on DPReview and wrote little reviews about all the things I own and have owned.

Thinking about my old camera gear brought up memories from the times when I used that gear, my photographic progress since then, and how my life changed as well.

A friend sold me an old Nikon D3000 when I was still a student and knew nothing about photography. With becoming a dad I bought a D7000 and my first piece of good glass, a Sigma 17-70. During my PhD I tried a Fuji for going to the playground with my child, and quickly abandoned Nikon. Those cherished times at the playground are now linked in my mind with that Fuji kit. Later the Fuji 18-135 and a Ricoh GR accompanied us on our several fantastic family vacations. I'll stop here for now.

These are memories of great times in my life, and they I are inextricably linked with the photographs I took and my journey as a photographer.

Going through my gear list and writing little mini-reviews for every item reminded me of those great times, of struggles I had back then, and of the things I learned since.

It also brought into focus a few peculiarities about my photography. Like how I bought a wide-angle zoom twice, but didn't like it both times. Or that I discovered twice that I just don't like a 35 mm prime lens. Or that I apparently don't enjoy the 30-50 mm range much, and accordingly did not enjoy a normal zoom on any of the systems I have owned, yet keep buying them over and over again. And let's not talk about the three Fuji XC 15-45 I owned.

So, writing these reviews has taught me a lot about my photography. Highly recommended!

bastibe's gear list:bastibe's gear list
Ricoh GR III Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Panasonic LX100 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Canon PowerShot D30 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon D3000 Nikon D70 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow