RF24-105/4 performance

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan W Contributing Member • Posts: 717
Re: RF24-105/4 performance

Peak freak wrote:

I have had considerable experience with Canon L lenses, I have read Rogers articles and so-on, but In think I am a difficult customer when it comes to lenses because they always (well, often) seem to have performance that doesn't meet my expectations.

So, for various reasons I am onto my third copy of the RF 24-105/4, but the first that has had 'real world' use. After cataloguing my first batch of maybe a 1000 images It meets my expectations and performs well - except at about 35mm.

In short, there is always some kind of performance drop off at 30- 40mm, mostly on the left (although centering generally seems good).

This example (IMO) is pretty bad, but the sort of thing that I see happening. Check out the left hand tree trunk.

Adobe defaults, sharpening 25. What do you guys think?

I don't mean to be clinical but look how far the distance is between the left tree trunk and the right tree trunk from your point of view. Thats got be 100 feet or more. Wheres the focus point? you do understand DOF?

OK, I got to ask, 3rd copy? I worked at a camera shop many years ago (2000 something) between jobs. I own and sold MANY L lenses. I only seen one high end lens come back because of dust inside of a nikon 70-200 2.8

Now some came back because we had a 30 day return, most of the time it was exchanged for their second choice they were battling with when they came in the first time. One guy used to come in and buy a really expensive lens on a Thursday or Friday and return it on Monday, after the second time I figured out he was just gettin free rentals for paid work lol. ironically we rented the same lenses he always bought and returned...

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow