Industrial photography

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 561
Re: Industrial photography

brucet wrote:

I think there needs to be a distinction of sorts with the OP. Small 'local' industries v 'multi national' industries. Multi nationals are a whole nuther question with a whole set of different requirements and approaches involving agents. Smaller 'local' industries are often in house and don't use agents as such.

In my case I had a multinational approach me after seeing my work on the net. Lucky me. But my 'small' work has come about by me approaching smaller clients.

FWIW the multi national screwed me. The smaller industries have been a pleasure to work with. And way more profitable.

I have a mix.  I serve lots of small companies and a few big ones.  I have never had issues with any of them.

I like the big companies for annual report work.  Someof them have big budgets for these publications because not only are the  financial reports but are used to attract investments and the wanna look good. They have big budgets for printing and the printing houses encourage good photography.  I get to hoot products, industrial scenarios and executive portraits.

Perhaps I am fortunate to have never been "screwed".  I work by contract and all the protective stipulations are included.  The transfer of reproduction rights do not occur until the invoices are paid.

The smaller businesses don't have giant budgets but there are enough small jobs to help boost my bottom line.

Running any business is not a "piece of cake", there are always some problems, lots of long hours and many aspects that are not fun and creative in nature-  like accounting, taxes, paperwork, and maintaining a kinda high overhead.  The photography business can be especially difficult at times buses in many cases, it is not a necessity but a luxury service.  That is who it is good to diversify and if one market declines, you have other opportunities to fall back on.

Keep up the hard work, my friend.  Don't let the big-business guy get the best of you- we all gotta keep the wolves away from the door- Be well!

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow