For Sony A7R IV - Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN or Sony 135mm F1.8 GM

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 3,009
Re: For Sony A7R IV - Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN or Sony 135mm F1.8 GM

I had the first Sigma Art 85mm, and at the time I was impressed with the detail (on a 36Mpixel sensor). I have not tried the newer version.

The Sony 135mm GM is, however, at another level. LensRentals measured 10 samples and reported it to be the sharpest lens they'd seen out of hundreds of models.

I got the 135 GM just after release, and I started using it on the A7RIII, where it produces a vast amount of detail. However, putting it on the A7RIV reveals even more detail, to the point where you can crop out a small part of a frame, blow it up, and see pixel-level sharpness.

I don't know if the Sigma can achieve that. Few lenses can. What I do know is that I am more than pleased with the 135 GM.

As far as "I just hope I can manage to use 135mm and not run into tight spaces." goes - shoot outdoors - this lens works very well outside. Inside I mostly concentrate on details (it captures beautiful headshots.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow