July 2021 Part 1 — This Month Through Your Adapted Lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Albert Silver Veteran Member • Posts: 3,373
Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 at infinity

Travis Butler wrote:

Albert Silver wrote:

Of the old legacy 55-58mm lenses I have acquired, it is the clear champion in performance so far. This is comparing it against a Mamiya Sekor 55 f/1.8, the Cosinon 55 f/1.4 (though the Cosinon has a smoother bokeh as a rule), the Super Takumar 55 f/1.8 (the worst of the lot), the Auto Chinon 55 f/1.7, and the Helios 44M-7 (the best of this Helios series) 58mm f/2.

From what I've seen of it so far, my copy is good but not stunning:

E-M1 II, Mamiya-Sekor 55/1.4

(...I'd hate to take that fire escape!)

So I stuck mine on an old Canon 650D (crop sensor), which has infinity focus, and noticed a curious thing: if I dial the focus to the limit where infinity should be, it is softer than set just before. This is true of all infinity attempts. I am attaching two images taken from my window illustrating:

This was correctly focused (AFAIK), handheld, at f/4 (f/5.6 to f/8 may well be sharper). Still, the detail can be seen very easily in the small signs center left.

Comparison of focusing

These are 100% crops of both full dial infinity (top) which is off, and the slightly shorter focus on the bottom. The difference is night and day. Both are at f/4.

Albert Silver's gear list:Albert Silver's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GCL
GCL
(unknown member)
GCL
GCL
GCL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow