Full Frame vs Micro 4:3

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
gardenersassistant Veteran Member • Posts: 8,962
Re: To summarize my experience...

D Cox wrote:

J A C S wrote:

D Cox wrote:

FF: better IQ

Unless you want greater DoF, for instance for macro shots of insects.

You can't stop down on FF?

You can stop the 100mm Laowa down to f/45,

No, the lens is f/2.8 to f/22. The f/45 you see on the images in the linked post comes from setting the lens to f/11 and then adding the effect of the two 2X teleconverters.

and I think adding two tele converters will effectively stop it down further.

Adding two 2X teleconverters moves the range from f/2.8 - f/22 to f/11 - f/90. On top of that, as the magnification goes up the effective aperture gets smaller.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4587632

I don't know if there's a comparable lens for m4/3. If not, your point is correct.

You can use the same lens on micro four thirds. In fact, I have done so (and on APS-C). I use it on full frame because I get better focus peaking than with my micro four thirds cameras (and I don't get focus peaking at all on my APS-C camera). The choice of which camera and sensor size to use has, for me, nothing to do with the amount of DOF I can get. I want as much as I can get from a single shot, and with any of my setups, FF, APS-C and micro four thirds, I can push the aperture to the point where the images become unusable for my purposes.

Don Cox

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow