bowportes Veteran Member • Posts: 4,092
Re: New to Fuji Thinking X-S10.

absquatulate wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

absquatulate wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

Well, like all Fujis, there’s no question that the X-S10 is capable of excellent results, but in terms of user experience - with no AF switch on the front,

You can assign AF mode to buttons or dials, which can make it quicker than having to physically look at a switch or fiddle with one.

The switch can be operated by feel in a split second without ever budging my eye from the EVF and doesn’t waste a custom function button or dial

Well I guess that depends on how often you use the camera and how often you change that setting. If you're not shooting regularly and don't change it often then it can become something you have to visually check.

no d-pad

The same thing, functions can be assigned to buttons or dials

There are far fewer customizable options without a d-pad

Not really, they give you 4 choices, which can easily be programmed elsewhere, and you get a joystick instead, which I find far more useful. D pads are also a hassle if you're wearing gloves. With smaller bodies some compromises have to be made, I don't miss a D pad at all.

They can’t be programmed elsewhere if you run out programmable buttons. The d-pad is in a position where those 4 customizable buttons can be easily operated by feel while looking through the EVF, especially if all your cameras can be configured the same way.

Using the Q menu on the X-S10 is no different, when you use the d pad you're just calling up a function to adjust it using a dial, the Q menu does exactly that, just with more options available. They're just different ways of achieving the same thing, using the Q menu isn't exactly difficult or time consuming and can be done with the camera kept to the eye.

, no exposure compensation possible on the front dial,

I'm not sure why that's an issue, it can be assigned to the rear dial, as I have it.

Well, because all three of my other Fuji cameras are configured that way and I’d actually like them set up similarly to one another.

So not really an issue to anyone else then.

Any other Fuji users who are used to it being there and prefer it that way.

no dedicated marked analog controls,

An anachronism that's really not necessary, it's just pretty to look at.

It’s necessary if I want to simply look down and override an automatically controlled parameter with a specific fixed value.

As opposed to keeping your eye in the viewfinder and just adjusting it with a dial, the way it's done on the vast majority of digital cameras? I understand that you can change the settings without the camera being on, because you can see what they are, but as a rational for having a whole dial just for that it doesn't work for me.

Yes, can know (and change) how my camera is set up to shoot without ever turning it on. I can know how the focusing is set up just by feeling the knob with my finger as I’m shooting and can change it on the fly in a split second without having to think about. I don’t have to dive into a menu or look at screen at all to know what I’m doing.

Personally I never go out shooting without knowing how my camera is setup, I check it before I go shooting and I can change things just as quickly and easily when the camera is switched on, so personally I'm not seeing any big advantage there, but if that works for you, great.

and no way (even with its own customizable dials) to configure it anything like a “classic” Fuji,

You can, it just doesn't make sense to do so.

No, you can’t, not even close

Well there are obvious differences in dials, but for me they're in favour of the X-S10, not against it. You can have a dedicated ISO dial for instance, or not, whichever you prefer. The standard Fuji design means you have a dial for ISO and that's it, the configuration options on the X-S10 make more sense to me.

The marked dials analog dials aren’t just about being able to manually adjust the various parameters “old school”, but are for overriding the automatic functions when a specific manual adjustment needs to be made. Example: you are normally hand holding with Auto-ISO, but when on a tripod you can simply look down and turn the ISO dial from “A” to base ISO - done. A scene with with exceptionally high speed action is happening, simply look down and turn the SS dial from “A” to 1/2000” or, even better, “T” which gives you full manual SS control with the rear dial (up to 15 minutes with most models). I can quickly (and optimally) configure the camera for pretty much any situation just by looking down and turning a dial without ever diving into a menu or, in most cases, even turning the camera on.

I don't find turning a PASM dial and then adjusting my shutter speed to be difficult, even with the camera kept to my eye. If I was shooting in such a fast changing scenario I would have my C1/2/3/4 custom modes configured appropriately, it's then literally a turn of a dial, so again, for me, no advantage.

it is a decidedly unFujilike camera. Personally, other than the IBIS and larger grip, I dislike almost everything about the X-S10, but that’s me. If I wanted to go with a PASM setup, I think there are other brands who do it better than this. My 2 cents.

It gives you everything you need and easy access to what you don't need all the time. I've used plenty of other brands, and they usually either give you a plethora of buttons and dials everywhere, which makes cameras confusing to use unless you use them daily, or otherwise they make a camera too minimalist and reliant on touch screens. The X-S10 is an excellent balance of the two approaches, once you've set it up for your own preferences there isn't an easier camera to shoot with in my experience.

I understand that some people like the Fuji SS/ISO dials approach, but in reality it's window dressing, I find the X-S10 far easier and logical to use than the X-T1 I had. I don't have to start thinking about where a setting is, all the critical settings are easy top find and operate. You can change settings easily even with gloves on, it's very logical once you understand it. A shutter speed dial which cannot be programmed to do something else is a waste of real estate, nice to look at, but not logical on a modern digital camera IMHO, the same with an ISO dial, the X-S10 is configured so you can have an ISO dial if you want it, or use the dial for something else, that makes much more sense to me.

Then I guess you bought the right camera for you, it’s not the right camera for me.

Sure, I understand that, but it's not a lesser camera for it, it just depends on your personal perspective. I understand the appeal for the XT series configuration, but it is more of an aesthetic as opposed to logical, otherwise every manufacturer would be doing it. I'm not even opposed to it, I just think that logically, the X-S10 configuration makes more sense, especially for a smaller camera, and I'm guessing that's why Fuji made it that way. A hybrid of all the different options, buttons, dials, and a touchscreen, and to be honest, they did a great job of merging all those things coherently.

For those who understand how to make the best use of those buttons and dials, they aren’t just an “aesthetic” at all.

I understand how they work, I just didn't find they gave me any advantage compared to a PASM oriented set-up, quite the reverse in my case, I know I'm not alone in that opinion, YMMV.

I never said the X-S10 was a crappy camera, just that it is a big departure from the classic “Fuji” design. For me, when compared with the classic Fuji bodies, the X-S10 is a huge step in the wrong direction but, obviously, other folks seem to like it just fine. I was only pointing out the differences to someone who hasn’t used either.

Well if it had been a balanced comment rather than a solely negative opinion we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. It isn't a departure from Fuji design, the XT100/200 and XA series are all Fuji designs and all different from the XT-1/2/3/4 and XT10/20/30 series. Fuji designs all sorts of different cameras, but the Series you prefer seems to have some sort of snobbery attached to it, that's the bit I don't understand.

This simply isn't true. All of the other ILC X-cameras, except the entry level A series, avoid the PASM approach. The XT, XPRO, XH, and XE series models all share a non-PASM control set, which has come to define what is typical for Fuji. It's not about snobbery, but the attractiveness of having this alternative to the standard controls of other brands.

I can happily criticise the X-S10 for the minor shortcomings it does have, but it's a much better camera than you imply. I just think it's important to be balanced in our critique, rather than the 'I don't like it and that's all I've got to say about it' approach. Of course I do like it but I did point out a couple of things I would change about it.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow