M4/3 for birding

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
faunagraphy
faunagraphy Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Re: UPDATE: M4/3 for birding

Ontarian wrote:

Ontarian wrote:

Want to increase my current reach for birding from 480mm (35mm equiv) to 600mm or 800mm without the kit getting any heavier than my 3.25 lb / 1475 gm Canon kit. That pretty well puts me into the bridge or M4/3 camps.

Thanks everyone for your comments, advice and suggestions. Still have not had the opportunity to handle or test any of the products mentioned, but here is a quick summary of where I stand. This is an extract from a much larger and comprehensive spreadsheet, but does focus on the three most quantifiable variables of Price, Reach and Weight. Of course IQ and comfort in use are also critical, but much harder to quantify.

Prices are the best prices I could find in Canada for new on-line items. Open box and used would reduce costs somewhat, but low supply has raised some of those to above new prices.

Please feel free to comment or make suggestions.

Thanks, Don

Regarding the Panasonic 100-400, I would advise that you either purchase new, or buy used from a seller who offers returns, like KEH, MPB or UsedPhotoPro. There is some copy variation in this lens, with some lenses significantly sharper at 400mm than others (but only relative to the weaker ones - none are tack-sharp at the long end).

This lens also had problems with a stiff zoom but my copy never did. I sold mine because it was very weak for distant subjects. The stiff zoom and some other problems seem to have been resolved in the newer lens copies.

Lastly, for the person who said that 300mm is too short for birds ... I disagree, because the Pro pairs extremely well with TCs, so it's like having 3 primes in one. And for challenging birds in flight, which you might want to shoot without a TC, 300mm can be enough in many cases because the birds get closer quickly.

-- hide signature --

Formerly known as 'anupamkatkar'.

faunagraphy's gear list:faunagraphy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow