Tamron 150-500

Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bryanA9
bryanA9 Senior Member • Posts: 1,194
Tamron 150-500

Back-round: I use this lens on the Sony A6600. I'am 70 yr. old and my primary interest is birds and wildlife but will shoot anything that piques my interest. I had been shooting the mirrorless Sigma 100-400 and really liked it. I rented the Sony 200-600 for 3 days last summer when I had switched from a Nikon D500 kit to mirrorless. I shoot handheld 99% of the time

I've been shooting the Tamron for a week now and the more I do the more I'm loving it and just as importantly, trusting it to meet my expectations.

Caveat Emptor: Sample variation is real as in my case this was the second copy tried that is golden. In general if you're fighting with a lens to get good results to which others are raving about then get another copy to try.

Ground work: I'll try and be as comprehensive as I can and post a few shots. When it comes to telephoto lenses you really need to know what your priorities are before laying down some large ca$h and for me it's IQ and AF. When I switched to mirrorless I was looking for lighter equipment and better AF than the D500. The Sigma 100-400 I felt was equivalent to my D500 kit and half the weight. But over time I felt the limitations of it's AF. Let me say as a general lens this is an excellent lens that I would recommend. I had tried the 200-600 when I switched but wasn't blown away by it but being new to mirrorless might have been part of the problem or maybe it was sample variation? When it comes to telephotos and wildlife there can be a lot of factors besides the basic lenses characteristics that can affect your results. As I mentioned above this is my second copy of this lens to try out and won't go into what the issue with the first was other to say it just wasn't sharp. Finally I think Dustin Abbott's review: Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 VC VXD (A057) Definitive Review - YouTube most equates to my feelings on this lens

The Review:

IQ- this lens is sharper then my Sigma 100-400 DN and reminds me of the Nikon 200-500 in this category. I haven't noticed any corner softness but this is on a APS-C body. The macroesque abilities of this lens is the best I've seen so far.

Stabilization- Compared to other lenses it's just not as good especially if your shaky holding it, so mode 3 will give you the best results. It's often said that you don't even need stabilization on if your shooting up at around 1/2000+ but unless your really steady it ain't so.

AF- right out of the box it feels snappier than the Sigma which is good and I feel my keeper rate has increased in general. I've shot around 2000 pics in the week since getting it and each outing leaves me very happy with the results. Sure an A9 II or A1 would be better but I'm on a budget these days

Ergonomics- compared to my old Nikon 200-500 this is a lot lighter! While the zoom ring is smooth it's a bit stiff and you can't turn it like you can with the 200-600 while looking through the viewfinder. While this push/pull clutch thing for locking a focal length sounds good on paper I find it a minor annoyance as I'm constantly engaging it unintentionally. For the record on my home scale my kit weighs 2644gm/5.8 lbs while my Sigma kit is 1997 gm/4.4lbs and my Nikon kit with the 200-500 was 3328gm/7.3 lbs so it's a bit on the heavy side.

Bokeh- Not bad at all for only 7 blades and better than one might otherwise expect.

Cost- Using US pricing it's priced competitively.

Pros:

- close ups

- IQ

- AF

Cons:

- weight

- stiff zoom but better than the Leica/Panasonic 100-400

- 150mm as like to shoot the occasional landscape or the action is in close

- pricing, an easy choice for the budget conscious. For Canadians when this lens was first priced it was $1939 it has since been reduced at some outlets to $1799

A few shots now ( they have been post processed).

If you want to see more of my shots then go to:

Tamron 150-500 Sony E Mount | Flickr

bryanA9's gear list:bryanA9's gear list
Sony a9 Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD
Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD
Lens • Sony FE
Announced: Apr 22, 2021
bryanA9's score
Average community score
Nikon D500 Sony a1 Sony a9 Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow