M6II+32mm/1.4 & R6+50mm/1.8 Comparison

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,506
M6II+32mm/1.4 & R6+50mm/1.8 Comparison

For all who are asking, here are five comparative shots.

I was on location to shoot for a corporate client who tasked me to capture parts of this garden resort by the mountain - which they plan to print as "window views" in the showroom of suburban homes they're selling. These shots were taken while I was having a quick breakfast, before I resumed shooting. Light kept changing hence you'll notice some images are warmer than others. It's monsoon season so we're lucky that there were even a few hours of sunshine in the morning. The afternoon was typically a split between overcast and downpour.

This comparison is not scientific. It's simply meant to show how these combos perform and/or differ. I have RF and EF lenses for my R6 that were better than the RF50mm 1.8 STM, but that's not the point of this requested comparison.

My observations:

• Colors are very similar. I take my hat off to Canon for this. Whether the 20mp FF sensor or the 32mp cropped sensor, there is very little work to do at post to achieve the kind of color I know my client would go for (images here are not processed to my client's preferred colors btw).
  • My client did not care which camera I used. While they are yet to finish selecting photos, the initial result is the shots they picked (so far) have been 70/30 in favor of the R6 but not the ones shot with the 50mm 1.8 lens. The 30% they picked which I shot on M6II were nearly all with the 32mm, on the other hand. There were a few that I shot with the Tamron 35-150mm, which I can share if you're interested to see how those shots looked like.
  • The EFM32mm is one of the sharpest 1.4 lenses I have ever used. Perhaps it means I've used crappy 1.4 lenses on my FF bodies? Well, I've shot with the Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, for one. I don't remember it to be sharper than the EFM32mm.
  • All images were on standard profile, raw converted to JPEG. Post is largely highlight and shadow adjustment, resizing. I did not do anything on the white balance. DId not touch the colors as well - no time for that.
  • I do not have a conclusion that jumps out of the page if that's what you're looking for. I've done substantial paid work using the M6II with the EFM32mm, for both this type of shoots and for corporate portraits. I am a firm believer of this combo.
  • Finally, the M6II of course cannot touch the R6 in many ways. Right off the bat, R6 colors and image quality are just sumptuous - the best I've seen in any Canon FF. I can push it to levels the M6II can never reach. Its focusing system is second to none. But what the heck, you already know this. At such price point, it should be a wonderful camera - plus considering its access to phenomenal RF lenses.
  • The wonder belongs to the M6II, in this case. At this price range, it's still one of my favorites. I'm happy I could use EF lenses on it - it addresses the existing "limitations" on native EFM lens line up.

Please - I don't wish to ignite the FF vs cropped debate. That's not the goal. This is all in the spirit of fun, that's why my comparative shots are not perfectly set up. It's a visual reference, for all that it's worth. I am sure you can find better comparative shots elsewhere, no doubt. For that reason, feel free to take the outputs with a grain of salt.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://500px.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow