Meike 11+18mm or Viltrox 12+24mm macro extension tubes to choose

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 8,005
Re: Meike 11+18mm or Viltrox 12+24mm macro extension tubes to choose

Imprimis wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Why does it matter what side of the FTZ adapter the tube is on?

The tube needs to be connected directly to the lens for proper spacing.

Hello Ernie, I'm not sure that I follow.

I picked up a set of Meike Z tubes yesterday and have just successfully tested the following configuration:

Z6 <--> MK-Z-AF1 <--> FTZ <--> 50mm G

Wouldn't this be functionally the same as...

Z6 <--> FTZ <--> F auto extension Tube <--> 50mm G

By golly if it is working for you that is great and I have learned something!   Sorry, it just seemed illogical at first to use the Z tube with an F mount lens.

...given that the lens to sensor distance would be the same in both setups. ie the result is the same regardless of which side of the FTZ the (appropriate mount, same length) tube is mounted on. Any given F mount lens should perform equally well/badly irrespective of the configuration.

I do not have a set of auto F mount tubes, I figure I don't need them given that a set of Z mount ones plus the FTZ would allow me to cover both F and Z mount lens scenarios anyway.

My only slight doubt would be regarding baffles (if any) in the F tubes, I'll dig out some old manual F tubes and check.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"Creativity can be learned and practiced, and most importantly it's absolutely possible to devise the circumstances in which you're able to be the most creative. You don't have to be born with it , and although upbringing, life experience, and your attitude do have an influence on how open a mind is to being curious about new possibilities and to solving problems in new ways." - Justin Black

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow