Canon cancels Olympics booths

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Stig Nygaard
Stig Nygaard Regular Member • Posts: 244
Re: Canon cancels Olympics booths

Doug J wrote:

Wigelii wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

I’m sure you’re right, Pro Services for Nikon, Canon, and Sony will be there to support working photographers.

Why do these photographers need the pro booths? What do these offer that enables them to do work they couldn't do without?

The "booths" that they canceled are for PR, branding, marketing to mostly consumers. The spectators will not be visiting for the Olympics so there is no longer a need for the booths.

The pro services are different, check this link to see what Canon and Nikon have brought to a past Olympic event to support the needs of the pros.

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/12/canons-nikons-crazy-dslr-stockpiles-2018-olympics/

Pro-services are not completely cancelled. But it will probably only be for necessary repairs and supports. The lending out of equipment seems largely to be cancelled (at least for Canon), because the Olympic Committee will not allow multiple photographers using (touching) the same items during the event.

From Jeff Cable :

Not only will there be fewer photographers, but the support will also be much less than ever before. If you have followed my Olympic adventures from years past, you saw the room full of cameras, lenses and other accessories that Canon (and other companies) would bring as loaners. That will not be the case this time around. Due to contact tracing, TOCOG does not want items being used by different photographers each day. That means that I will be traveling to Japan with A LOT more equipment than I usually have.

Stig Nygaard's gear list:Stig Nygaard's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow