The price of the new 16-50.....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
jamesm007 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,793
Re: The price of the new 16-50.....

Jozef M wrote:

Yes, I think too that this lens is overpriced, and also much too heavy ... not a pleasant thing to run around with.
But what can you do ... ?

Jozef.

I agree, its 750g and the old version was 550g, they have the same diameter but the new one is 117mm long versus 99mm. So its much bigger and heavier than the already big and heavy DA*16-50mm V1. The Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 non-vc is much smaller and lighter (434g, 83mm long) and its a serious performer in the corners even at f/2.8. The big Sigma 17-50mm is much smaller and lighter (565g, 92mm long) I would hope the Pentax lens is slightly better in MTF with much better CA/PF control, shading performance, and other aberrations well controlled compared to those others. In its defense the Pentax does start at 16mm versus 17mm for most others and has AW sealing. I think because Pentax wants to make sure there are no quality control issues and bad corners they built it almost overkill. And I guess the buyer who wants that type of quality will pay for it in money and heavy weight and large size.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow