M4/3 for birding

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
faunagraphy
faunagraphy Contributing Member • Posts: 612
Re: M4/3 for birding

Ontarian wrote:

By the way, a new E-M1is being offered at about $750 USD below list at a number of shops.

Hard to pass on that!

By E-M1, do you mean the E-M1 Mark ii? The E-M1 Mark 1 is a nice camera and great value at around $250 used. However the Mark ii is significantly better, with better PDAF and features like ProCapture that are great for birds. The Mark ii is excellent value.

That said, if you mostly shoot perched birds / water birds, you do not need a PDAF sensor like the one on the E-M1 series. E-M1s are great for serious bird-in-flight photography (I have many swallow photos to attest to that).

But if you want to wander around and shoot songbirds / waterfowl, you can do just as well with Panasonic cameras. There are many lighter options there that pair nicely with the Panasonic 100-400, such as the GX series and the G85/95.

Since you are recuperating from cancers, I assume you'll want to stay indoors during inclement weather, so you can go for the lighter bodies like the GX9, which lack weather-sealing.

The reason I'm recommending Panasonic bodies is that you'll get the dual-IS advantage with the Panasonic 100-400, which will allow you to shoot at very slow shutter speeds. Olympus IBIS is great but it doesn't sync with the OIS on Panasonic lenses.

-- hide signature --

Formerly known as 'anupamkatkar'.

faunagraphy's gear list:faunagraphy's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow