National Park road trip: 24-70 enough or will I need a 15-24 too?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,253
Re: National Park road trip: 24-70 enough or will I need a 15-24 too?

spec68 wrote:

Getting ready for a trip out west through CO, UT, ID, and WY. I'm trying to keep my gear load as light as possible (won't be hiking with everything at once though). I have a 24-70 and 100-500 + 1.4x extender. Is that enough or will I be kicking myself for not bringing an ultra-wide like a 15-25. I don't own one but can rent one easy enough. Will that extra 10mm be the difference between and OK composition and a wow! composition? I havent don't much landscape photography in wide open spaces.

I don't think so. Ultra-wide lenses are also ultra-tall lenses, so if you're not careful with composition you'll have photos with a whole lotta sky and a whole lotta foreground and the subject or background is a tiny little strip running across the middle:

FF camera and an ancient Sigma 12-24mm EX lens @ 15mm (EXIF lens model info is incorrect). The only way to fix this photograph as it stands is to crop out the top and bottom and you wide up with a panorama! I might as well had shot a pano to begin with

It's up to the photographer to find something interesting in the sky or foreground. Rockwell has some suggestions here. photographylife has some suggestions here.

So is an ultra-wide lens really a landscape lens at all? Or is it better to use an ultra-wide lens to provide context for a subject that's very close to the camera:

The closest portion of this tree branch is only ~3 ft away from the camera.

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow