Would you buy a monochrome only MFT camera if Panasonic or Olympus offered one?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
JimH123 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,130
Re: Why?

ahaslett wrote:

tko wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

I am a mono denier but you are winning me over.

This doesn't seem to be a comparison between mono and non-mono, but a demo of what Gigapixel can do.

I would expect a converted Sony to be better than an unmodified one, but how would the converted 24.2 MP Sony do against a unmodified but higher pixel count camera offering double the pixel count?

From comparing Sigma Merrills against an A7R, I’d say you need just under 2.5 times the pixels. That would make the A7R4 about the same as an A7 series. Depending on the exposure constraint the adapted sensor might still have an advantage in terms of improved QE.

The full colour sensor would still give more processing flexibility.

Andrew

That's probably close to true.

Here is an image of the unprocessed DNG file after it has been extracted from the mono sensor RAW file.

And here is the B&W conversion of a Sony A6500 using the same lens without red filter.  I tried Lightroom, and I tried Photoshop with its filters and I tried NIK Silver Efex Pro and failed to get the same look.

Now where I decided to compare is on the left side, starting in the middle is a dead branch.  Just before reaching the edge of the image, the dead wood has an open slot and with the mono sensor, I can see through that open slot.  With color image turned to B&W, I cannot resolve anything through that slot.

Here is a closeup using Gigapixel at 6x to show what I am referring to using the mono sensor image.  I cannot use this amount of resizing on the non-modified sensor image.  It doesn't resolve it well at all.

JimH123's gear list:JimH123's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a6300 Olympus E-M1 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
YWG
YWG
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow