New Sony 4/3 Sensor

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jeff Veteran Member • Posts: 6,430
Re: Wishful thinking?

FingerPainter wrote:

Chris R-UK wrote:

It's a BSI sensor so it is going to have a significant improvement in low light noise

I doubt it. BSI won't expose much more of the silicon on pixels as large as those on a 21MP MFT sensor. At the same time, there is a risk that the higher throughput will increase read noise by at least as much as the shot noise decreases. If there is a change in noise performance I expect it to be small, and it might be negative.

- on Olympus bodies at least. Are any Panasonic sensors BSI?

I don't think so. Aren't all their current models based on Sony non-BSI MFT sensors? (I'm not not sure about the oversize sensor in the GH5S.)

It is also a stacked sensor so there will be a very big improvement in rolling shutter effects, if that is of interest for your photography.

I think this is where more noticeable improvements will come from.

As bobn2 mentioned somewhere else on this thread, one of the issues with the current generation of Olympus sensors is a relatively narrow aperture for the individual pixels. In some other threads, folks have estimated the effective f/number of the pixels in the range of 1.3 to 1.4 (if memory serves).  If a BSI configuration can widen the aperature a bit, then there would be an immediate benefit for folks owning the f/1.2 (or faster) lenses.

Time will tell.

Jeff's gear list:Jeff's gear list
Olympus 45mm F1.2 Pro Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow