Anyone buy and return 40/2.5?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
quitomarez Forum Member • Posts: 72
Re: Anyone buy and return 40/2.5? NO, it's the best

Kevin Sutton wrote:

Funny Valentine wrote:

I've been using the 40mm for a few months now. And it's a very good lens.

The AF is very fast and silent, build quality is lovely and it's sharp from edge to edge even at f/2.5.

It's small and has similar size to m43 lenses, it's important to me because I use both systems in parallel.

It works great for both photo and video. I use it with the a7sIII for wedding/event videography and photos. The silent and smooth AF in such a small lens is very unique in the market.

I was using the Canon RF 35mm f/1.8 before switching to Sony, and this Sony G 40mm f/2,5 is so much better.

The only downside is it's expensive.

Also from reviews from Gordon Laing, the 40mm Sony is much sharper and focuses more accurately than the Sigma 45mm. There's no other lenses in the market that compete with the Sony G 40 and 50mm f/2.5. That level of performance in such a small size for full frame cameras is completely new, no other company can compete so far.

But actual distortion is very high (Gordon acknowledges that) and the designs are heavily dependent on software corrections. That is how you get the compact size. The bigger f1.4’s are more “optically corrected”, hence their size.

Cheers Kevin

No, actual distorsion is not that hight. For example, have a look to the Lenstip review:

https://www.lenstip.com/602.6-Lens_review-Sony_FE_40_mm_f_2.5_G_Distortion.html

Q.

-- hide signature --

Quito Marez

quitomarez's gear list:quitomarez's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Sony DSC-RX0 II Epson R-D1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony a7C +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow