What is a typical MTF for a Bayer CFA Sensor at Nyquist?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,731
Re: Sigma's take ?

Jack Hogan wrote:

Bernard Delley wrote:

Their latest cameras, the fp , useBayer (full frame, 61Mpix, BSI) sensors.

The page does not say no AA filter, but I assume it follows current trends in having no AA.

Hi Bernard. FYI the fp does indeed appear to sport a relatively strong AA:

Your model convinces me that Sigma fp L actually uses an AA filter. Displacement 0.66 pix ?

I am actually happy that some manufacturers are swinging back to AAs because the latest crop of 'landscape' cameras is so sharp they cut, leaving aliasing like broken shards of glass scattered all over the scene.

Aliasing may be hard to see in natural images but - as Jim Kasson says - once you do see it, it is impossible to unsee and you tend to see it everywhere. Crunchy, similar to slightly oversharpened in post.

Your Z7 has no AA and a reduced pixel aperture moreover. Do you have an obvious example in a natural scene? -- At the risk that I will never be able to unsee it again in grass and similar objects.

If I absolutely need to, I can reduce aliasing by a slight de-focus or zero out aliasing by stopping down sufficiently.

I was glad to see Fuji put an AA back in its latest 3.7um medium format cameras (GFX100s) and I hope we are soon going to see them back in FF as well.

Jack

PS Link gives me a 404 error.

you saw a link to the paper by Frans and me before. I hope this Link is better.

Bernard Delley's gear list:Bernard Delley's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow