D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,825
Re: D850 still on sale from Nikon

Robert Cohen wrote:

>> there wasn't a great deal to be grained from a mid product life upgrade bar video performance which isn't a big market for their DSLRs anyway. <<

This becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Assuming, for argument's sake, that there is a market for better video than the Nikon DSLRs produce, the D850 could be upgraded by adding video technology from the Z line, as they did when upgrading the D750 to the D780. Then the D880 (assuming that's what they would call it) would be more attractive for video shooters.

This wouldn't make much difference to me, I'm a stills shooter. But right now Nikon is discouraging sales to people who might also be interested in video.

I'm guessing to Nikon though when they have the Z-line catering to it already that becomes much less urgent.

If we do get an update of the D850 I'm guessing it will carry as much of the video tech of the Z-line as possible(well maybe less than an Z9 but as much as a Z7/Z6) but I'm not surprised it hasn't been updated just to include that.

I suspect if we get an update it will only be when it can include a higher resolution sensor.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow