Small Fast Flying Birds with RX10iv (House & Sand Martins, Swallows & Swifts)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
D Lynch Veteran Member • Posts: 5,197
Congratulations!

Horacecoker wrote:

Thanks for the nice comments folks. Much appreciated!

I loved my RX10iv but I'm beginning to think it's gone a bit wonky as far as auto focusing is concerned. It's nothing really to do with my hour or so with the Swallows etc and the very poor keeper rate out of the 2000 shots, as those birds are in a totally different ball game to the norm. But I'm getting poor results with static birds. Or perhaps I should say the results are not exactly poor just mediocre as in not quite being in pin-sharp focus for the vast majority of shots and I can instantly see the difference when I get a shot that has nailed focus properly. It's because of this I've been waiting patiently for the RX10v with Sony's latest focusing system but now my patience has finally run out! I'm jumping ship!

Three days ago I bought myself a Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS. This is an APS-C lens and bolts on quite nicely (as it should) to my Sony A6600 and that camera has got the latest Sony AF system so obviously I know how good it is.

I thought long and hard about this as I went from APS-C birding gear in the form of the Sony A77ii + Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II to the RX10iii (then iv) primarily due to the weight saving. I went from 2226g to 1095g and didn't regret it one bit. But things have changed in the intervening years and the Sony A6600 + 70-350 G lens combo at 1128g is only slightly heavier than the RX10iv. In old money that is an insignificant 1oz heavier!!

Okay, the combo is only 525mm equivalent focal length as opposed to the RX10iv's 600mm but part of that difference in reach is made up for with the extra 4MP sensor resolution. Doing the maths I get 575mm - I can live with that!

Not used the new combo on a birding trip yet, just had a play with it on a fishing trip. The first thing that struck me was the joy of having a manual zoom again!! The next revelation was the AF at full zoom compared to my RX10iv. It is night and day!

Better shut up now, after all this is a Sony Cyber-shot forum.

Enjoy your new lens!

Look forward to seeing images from this combination....I shoot with an a6000/FE24240 lens and an RX100-7.  The RX100-7 is so much improved!  I can't imagine what the a6600 is like!

I post in both forums...

-- hide signature --

DaveL
WSSA Member #468
Ontario, Canada

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow