How do zoom shooters actually calculate their shots?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP deednets Forum Pro • Posts: 11,917
Re: Way too complicated

absquatulate wrote:

deednets wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

You're making this way too complicated. What does it matter whether it's a prime lens or a zoom lens?

Pick a focal length you want to shoot at to get the perspective and angle of view that you're looking for. Stand where you need to stand to get the shot you have in mind. Pick an aperture for the depth of field you want. The zoom lens simply means you have to change lenses fewer times.

Another vote for "couldn't care less" then?

My point was that since the slowish 16-80mm changes from a DOF of 455cm (16mm) to 139cm (23mm). So if you stand in front of a group of 10 (just an example) then you might not get everybody in focus if you use the zoom for framing only as you might not monitor the focal length but more like the framing.

Your example is absurd, you use focal lengths that would not be able to to take a group shot from 6.5 feet, you'd need an ultra wide angle lens for that, unless your definition of a group is people in a queue. You've used an absurd example in order to try and make a point in which people have repeatedly told you is just wrong, multiple times, but you just refuse to accept it. No photographer takes group shots from 6.5 feet using using focal lengths of 35/50/80mm. They stand well back when using those focal lengths, in order to avoid distortion and get people in the group actually in the shot, and they know how much dof they have to play with by either checking using their camera or just experience of using their equipment. I've taken many group shots from a few people to over a hundred, using different formats, and never had issues with dof, and what you describe is patently ludicrous. You have an inexplicable determination to ignore reality.

If on top of that the aim is to get as soft a background as possible, then F8 and be there might not be the best method as such.

The majority here seemed to think I was overthinking things by a few kilometers, but I thought that since this is a gear forum, why not ask the question? It got personal - as per usual these days.

After all a terrible post and Jerry (mentioned here as he is a MOD and it is not often easy to determine whether he posts an opinion or a moderating "nudge") also siding with a poster that I have only ever "met" here being personal and on the attack (on my ignore list)... not a good thread I started and I wish I hadn't bothered.

Lesson for me personally: don't post anything too complicated, challenging etc. where a majority could respond with a "don't care" as there seems to be a pack mentality kicking in, which I deeply detest. Sentences like "I am with somebody on this occasion" I really can't stand. If somebody wants to say something then why not? I am all for a robust debate, but this siding with people to give one's argument some more weight, I don't know ... simply don#t like it. We have talk-back radio here in NZ where this "with you on this occasion" is being used frequently. Most seem to be ok with it, I am not.

Might have been guilty on occasion by giving a nod to somebody, but it's like speeding in a 40km zone or texting whilst sitting in the afternoon traffic, the fact that I might have done this myself doesn't mean I would subscribe to the principle.

Deed

An image go wrong. Not a large group.

What you fail to address is what I asked: a strategy when framing. The values were an example at F4, not the fastest aperture as such.

Why you feel there is a need to make this personal I don't understand.

Will put you on ignore

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Sony RX1R II Fujifilm X-Pro3 Sony a7C Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rlx
rlx
rlx
rlx
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow