I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
AwesomeIan Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

bizmord wrote:

straitouttahell wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

bizmord wrote:

[...] I also think that D810 will allow less room for error compared to D700. I heard D700 with less MP is a lot more forgiving.

What exactly do you need to forgive? [...]

Shaky hands, for example. Or less-than-perfect focus (be it depending on bad technique or miscalibration).
In my experience going from 12Mp to 24Mp and then 36Mp (and back to 24 Mp and transitioning from FX to DX, but that's another story for another day), I have found that what I did at 12 no longer worked at 24 or 36. Had to raise minimum shutter speed by a couple of stops. Had to start calibrating AF fine tune (something I never did back in the day of 12 Mp with little penalty). All this was compensated by a generally better dynamic range, more room for cropping (although I try to avoid this as a habit). And, well, let's face it, if you donwsample a 36 Mp picture down to 12, all of the above issues tend to disappear, while all the advantages remain, with the added benefit of less noise and often better sharpness.
So, all in all, I think it all comes down to how you judge the whole question. In an apples-to-apples comparison (native 12 Mp vs downsampled 12 Mp), more pixels are not any less forgiving, quite the contrary. In a 100% view comparison, what you did wrong at 12 Mp will be roughly 2x wrong at 36 Mp.

Interesting post. So are you saying that if a friend of my who just got his D810 is still learning and may have issues perfectly focusing and shaky hands, he is better off shooting at quality NORM which would be around 24mp or so>?

I don't believe so. If you friend wanted a 24mp camera he could have bought a D750. Honestly, he is better off working on his technique (i.e. using a tripod, increasing ISO so a faster shutter can be used, keeping body still when pulling the trigger) than handicapping the camera. Just my $0.02. Good luck!

-- hide signature --
 AwesomeIan's gear list:AwesomeIan's gear list
Nikon D500 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD HD Pentax D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow