a7rMk4/FE 200-600mm sharpness help

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Fritzen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,373
Re: a7rMk4/FE 200-600mm sharpness help

Hi again,

may I point you to this thread over on the Sony APS-C E-Mount forum with some examples of what might be achieved with the 200-600.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65308198

I don't think that it matters much that those shots were taken with an a6400.

It's much more to illustrate the purpose of the lens and what would be a reasonable working distance - the range where the lens shines. Yeah, with rain it's likely that heat oscillation doesn't play a role for possibly degrading the image. But one shouldn't forget that also rain drops are condensed in the telephoto view and may take away from IQ. In the shown example the rain also accounts for the relatively high ISO - but shooting RAW and getting successfully a sharp photo the noise (removal) is something that can be addressed afterwards in the RAW conversion process and/or by special NR software.

From my POV it would be a starting point to reproduce this type of shot. Not necessary wildlife but perhaps a dog or cat if you own some or even a flower, anything in a middle range distance where you could experiment with framing, focussing and shooting. Especially the very shallow DOF of a long telephoto lens has a learning curve, where to place the focus point, what to expect being in focus in front and behind the focussed subject.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow