A poll about depth of field

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,259
Re: A poll about depth of field

tbcass wrote:

Tom Axford wrote: as infinite DOF.

If the focus is set anywhere beyond the hyperfocal distance, then the depth of field is infinite. Have a look at any DoF calculator. This is a screenshot from DOFmaster.com:

I shot that idea down in this post.

Depth of Field is not a precise mathematical concept: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

Besides your calculator, which I am quite familiar with, clearly shows that the DOF is 24.6 feet to infinity.

In fact, the depth of field is conventionally defined as the distance between the near limit (24.6ft) and the far limit (infinity), which is infinity (as shown under "Total" in the screenshot).

Because everything closer than 24.6 feet is not in focus the DOF is not infinite by the standard definition.

As you say yourself below, depth of field is the distance between the closest and farthest objects that appear acceptably sharp. That distance is infinity minus 24.6ft, which equals infinity.

You are confusing infinite DOF with everything being in focus.

I think you might be doing that, not me.

The DOF is infinite in a mathematical sense because it goes on forever beyond the minimum distance for acceptable focus.

Yes,indeed, but a minute ago you were saying it wasn't infinite!!!

Depth of field is the distance between the closest and farthest objects in a photo that appears acceptably sharp.

Yes, but in the abstract sense that we are considering a photo with objects in it at all possible distances.  If a photo contains nothing beyond the point of focus, we don't then say that the far side depth of field of the lens is zero.  There is often a degree of imagination required when working out the depth of field.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow