Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
kml426 New Member • Posts: 18
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Thank you everyone for the recommendations and advice. I made a few decisions based upon what you all posted and prompted by Sony having another sale. In audio I've always spent more on speakers than the receiver. Similarly, with the move up to FF, I believe spending on good glass is better than spending on a body. Here is what I ordered so far:

Sony A7 III body. With the current price reduction to $1,698, it became very attractive for a still capable camera. Didn't make sense to buy used when new is this low. I ordered from Focus Camera (there aren't any decent local shops where I am, unlike when I lived on Long Island). I'm not sure why, but Focus had the body for $1,698, but also had several bundles for the same price. For $1,698 it came bundled like this: Sony A7 III Bundle . I realize most of it is not quality, but it was the same price so why not.

For times when walking around with a lighter setup and for low light, I ordered the Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Prime (SEL35F18F).

It seems overwhelmingly liked, so I purchased the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM). The longest lens I had with my ASP-C Pentax was the 70-210, so I'll quite a bit more reach with the 100-400 and better quality glass.

Thank you for affirming F4 will be fast enough. I will be ordering the Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (SEL24105G). It's on sale now for $1,298. Do you think it's worth buying new or getting a used lens? KEH LN- is $1,008 and eBay has many for sale that can be gotten for under a thousand.

The last lens I would likely need would be an UW. Many have suggested the Sony FE 16-35mm f/2.8 GM (SEL1635GM). I had a 10-20mm lens with my Pentax K3, but didn't use it that often. Now that I'm doing more traveling, I likely will get more use from it. AZheaven mentions he'll be renting this lens for an upcoming trip. If I was taking one trip I might consider renting. We have 90 days of trips in 2022 already, and have 60 days in 2023 already planned including Southeast Asia, Machu Picchu, and the Amazon River. Renting would get expensive. Do you think I'll get enough use with this lens to purchase one? If so, new is $2,000 and used is $1,600+ to $1,900. My guess would go new. Thoughts?

I don't do a great deal of indoor, and where I do, it's usually in places you cannot use a flash - museums, cathedrals, castles, etc. I have a pretty good Pentax flash, the AF540FGZ II. Would that be compatible with the A7 III? If not, LenRivers suggested the Sony HVL-F45RM or 60-FRM. Any advice here?

I have a travel tripod and camera bags. Austinian suggested extended grip, so I'll look at those. I'm also going to look at some bases, like the ones from RRS. Any suggestions, there.

One last item (that's a lie, I'm sure I'll have more questions): I see on several lenses they mention flourine coatings. But I usually have a filter on my glass, so is this a non-issue. Do you have suggestions on the best filters for these lenses?

Thanks, again, for all your wonderful advice and for helping me with my decisions. I appreciate all of you and the fine community at dpr.

Kevin

kml426's gear list:kml426's gear list
Sony a7R IVA Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow