Grand Teton NP photos

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,684
Re: Grand Teton NP photos

jm10 wrote:

NikonNature wrote:

BillyBobSenna wrote:

Beautiful shots. I am heading out to the parts in August. Any advice?

Are there a lot of photographers at these locations at sunrise? I know it seems silly to take the same shot that thousands of others have taken. Regardless, I still think it would be fun to capture the photo myself.

I've heard this thought before, but I sort of see it a different way. If you're a serious hobbyist photographer, it's a great opportunity to create 'your version' of an iconic scene. The conditions are never identical and you just might have an original take on it. And they make great prints you can be proud of. Either way, no harm no foul.

To the OP: Did you have to get tickets, aside from the normal Nat'l Park Pass? What effect did that have on the crowds?

Thanks for commenting Jeff! I agree with your sentiments especially when it comes to visiting a location for the first time. If I were to return, chances are I would seek out parts "less iconic"...

They have no daily passes in Grand Teton - This is Wyoming! All National Parks are different - you have to visit their specific websites before you go. Also we spent most of the time outside of the park; most of the "iconic" spots are along Hwy 191... There was never more than 5 cars in front of us at the entrance points. The biggest crowd was at Jenny Lake - this place becomes a zoo around noon. The town of Jackson is extremely crowded even on weekdays...

Last year we had to purchase daily passes to enter the Rocky Mountain NP. They say it cut the crowds by 50% - not sure if it is true. I visited Yosemite NP this May - just before they decided to have the day passes. I always entered the park before the booth attendants came; on the way back I could see about 20 cars around 11 am.

Thank you for this information. On another post, someone mentioned daily passes (I think Rocky Mt NP) and it made me nervous. We've been to the Tetons several times and it would be tough if you had a timed window. We always entered pre-dawn and stayed until we got hungry enough to drive us out.

Great images by the way. I was hesitant to open this thread, because every time I see these locations it makes me want to go back! 

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow