Best smartphone camera for pro photographers

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
melodika Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: Best smartphone camera for pro photographers

_vlad wrote:

Droo wrote:

melodika wrote:

Hmm. I agree there must be better 48mp sensors out there but then again we are talking about smartphones. I did some comparisons with Ricoh GR III earlier, and the phone is quite close (although Ricoh is only 24mp). However I also have A7rii so I can test how QB 48mp actually compares to 42mp "real camera". That would be interesting!

QB does not even come close to regular Bayer resolution in colorful scenes. You should expect 40-50% of the MP when you develop from RAW, so 19-24 MP for this one. I develop my P40 Pro 50 MP DNGs to 23.2 MP.

Interesting. I develop them always to full 50 MP - and can use them as they are. Has to be tweaked for artefacts though, limiting microcontrast in high details. Limiting details is easy in post (that is beauty of HUA approach) increasing details with GCam is tough job if at all possible. Agree that QB has not full res as BSensor - but then why to limit yourself to even less.

Some samples with full colors - obviously colors can be tweaked and muted if one wants, the meritum is how crisp and detailed can 50 MPIx be without introducing artefacts - which is plague.

YMMV though

Have to say these look quite impressive! There are some areas that look a bit painterly but overally really nice. Do you know whether the phone does any focus stacking? I like how crisp the foliage looks – it's almost too sharp but still nice to look at. Well processed! I notice some flaws like jagged edges of straight lines (last photo), but it's quite minor.

Something I've noticed very often in photos taken with P40 Pro is the "detail" caused possibly by sharpening – I get similar results with ACR if I use large sharpening radius. I quess it's a matter of taste whether this looks good or not:

I think the blurry foliage in my Mi 10 Ultra samples is caused by movement within the frame. Looks like Huawei's processing is smarter and deals better with this.

Anyway, It's interesting to see what kind of results we will see from upcoming Pixel 6 Pro. It's going to have 50mp main module and I'm sure the results could be great IF the phone is going to have similar full resolution AI mode as P40 Pro.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow