Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Droo Regular Member • Posts: 193
Re: Best smartphone camera for pro photographers

_vlad wrote:

Droo wrote:

_vlad wrote:

Droo wrote:

melodika wrote:

Hmm. I agree there must be better 48mp sensors out there but then again we are talking about smartphones. I did some comparisons with Ricoh GR III earlier, and the phone is quite close (although Ricoh is only 24mp). However I also have A7rii so I can test how QB 48mp actually compares to 42mp "real camera". That would be interesting!

QB does not even come close to regular Bayer resolution in colorful scenes. You should expect 40-50% of the MP when you develop from RAW, so 19-24 MP for this one. I develop my P40 Pro 50 MP DNGs to 23.2 MP.

Interesting. I develop them always to full 50 MP - and can use them as they are. Has to be tweaked for artefacts though, limiting microcontrast in high details. Limiting details is easy in post (that is beauty of HUA approach) increasing details with GCam is tough job if at all possible. Agree that QB has not full res as BSensor - but then why to limit yourself to even less.

Some samples with full colors - obviously colors can be tweaked and muted if one wants, the meritum is how crisp and detailed can 50 MPIx be without introducing artefacts - which is plague.

YMMV though

I can see some QB weirdness in those samples, but overall these are pretty nice. What software did you use here?

Maybe some remnants of non optimal NR? These are superres JPG - they give same result detail and clarity wise as DNG. There is no difference in this regard between the two. Sometimes however NReduction is bit more painterly than I would wish for. I hope you do not look at them at 200% on 40 inch screen from 30 cm LOL. They are really not tweaked for this.

FYI debayering processed with ON1 (LR and Zoner will give the same result) and final touch with decreasing microcontrast of finest details to app. 0-30% from original plus gaussian blur 1-2% on separate layer with tweaked transparency around 40% - again ON1. Topaz will do the same (Rawtherapee as well) but I just want to keep workflow clean and simple to make it fun instead of nightmare. Seems complicated, but this is as simple as raising exposure or contrast. Just one click using preset and then just small adjustment. Hope I described it clearly and you understand the process.

Still would be interested if we see the same things re QB artefacts

cheers

50 MP AI JPGs? They never look that good when I take them.

Here is an example for weird rendering of rebayered QB output. No NR, but some sharpening that brings out weird and unnatural horizontal/vertical lines. Generally small trees or small individual leaves come out the worst.

There are ways to alleviate this a bit and generally it looks fine with slightly reduced resolution. I had the full photo here printed on 30x22 cm and it looked fine.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow