Nikon AF-S 24-120 f4 VR vs Tamron 35-150 f2.8-4 VC ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Peter in Canberra Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Re: Sigma 50-100 f/1.8?

Jocksa wrote:

Have you considered the Sigma 50-100 f/1.8? Fabulous fast aperture for indoor shots and optically superior to your suggestions.

just came back to this and had a look at the 50-100 - I wasn't really aware of it.

From Thom Hogan's review it looks like (unlike other f1.8 lenses*) it might actually be fast enough in AF terms for indoor sports
https://www.dslrbodies.com/lenses/nikon-lens-reviews/third-party-lens-reviews/sigma-50-100mm-f18.html
It looks pretty well lit at that rink though compared to the pretty poorly lit (even abysmally lit for ice hockey) indoor venues in Australia.

a bit pricey for me at the moment, and a heavy piece of kit, but a very nice looking lens. For my indoor church shots probably not wide enough but an intriguing option for indoor sports (if my son sticks at floorball)
*I first bought a Nikon AF-S 50 mm f1.8 to try shooting floorball. It didn't work out that well and some of that I put down to AF speed.

another photographically irritating aspect of indoor venues in Australia (probably elsewhere too) is there is no 'working space' adjacent to courts - a thin sliver of space for spectators. This is of course the reality of the economics - $ to get the playing space is generally as far as anything stretches for amateur stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow