I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
New Day Rising
New Day Rising Senior Member • Posts: 6,483
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

I get it. Using camera gear is a very tactile experience, though how different people engage at that level in different ways. We see people post on here all the time about different aspects of a camera body, lens or system that make it virtually unuseable for them - usually something like placement of buttons, the stiffness or looseness of a dial, the layout of menus or shape of a hand grip.

For some people things like that don't really matter - they might care much more about details of dynamic range or tonal variation or colour palette and put up with or not notice hardware elements in the same way. We are all different and what matters to us matters to us, regardless of whether or not it matters to someone else. We may or may not get used to something we initially didn't like - learn to live with or even come to appreciate - or it may get more annoying over time. That's individual preference for you.

I had a D700 for a while and it produced beautiful images but was annoyingly loud. I remember lots of complaints about the loudness of the A7 shutter when it was released. People complain about the noise of focus motors in various lenses (the Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 is one that often gets a bad rap). These things may not matter until they do.

-- hide signature --

All lies and jests; Still a man hears what he wants to hear; And disregards the rest

New Day Rising's gear list:New Day Rising's gear list
Nikon D7200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Fujifilm X-T2 Sony RX100 Nikon D50 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow