I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Brev00
Brev00 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,443
Re: I love 15yr old Nikon D700 ... why would I upgrade? (Kids, Sports, etc. shooting)

Michael Piziak wrote:

I envy people like you that can go to a camera store and hold, try out, and get the feel of various cameras. I live in a low population U.S. state, that is very rural. My method of trying out camera equipment is to simply buy it off of Amazon and try it out - they have an easy return policy and are super easy to deal with. I once ordered a bean bag, that was way over sized when I got it. Instead of making me ship it back, they simply refunded me the $100 and told me to keep the bean bag....

Yes, I realize I am very fortunate.  I have both a Best Buy and a local store (Bedford Camera) that carry a good deal of gear.  Bedford will match prices even with Amazon and B&H even with flash sales so try to get my stuff there as much as possible.  Best Buy has a tremendous return policy that makes buying gear there attractive as well.  I haven't bought camera gear there though.  Computer and audio stuff mainly.  I have been trying to avoid Amazon as much as possible these days but not to the extent of cutting the Prime cord.  Moderation in all things!

The salespeople at Bedford are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.  They are highly skilled photographers.  They have biases but are transparent about them.  Got a Canon pro 10 printer there with the advice of one particular employee and that has made a world of difference in my enjoyment of photography.  Nothing like a physical print!

I have had that same experience of being told to keep a product by Amazon.  And Nespresso, too.  They sent me someone else's pods.  Told me to keep them and sent me the correct shipment.  Most online stores prioritize customer service and create a business model that allows for a lot of returns and mistakes.  That expense is included in the prices, of course.

Brev00's gear list:Brev00's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow