Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
MikeInOr
MikeInOr Senior Member • Posts: 1,334
Re: Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS

kml426 wrote:

Hi, Everyone,

I'm amazed at the knowledge and talent of everyone here. I also appreciate you sharing them.

I'm ready to move from APS-C world to FF. I currently have a Pentax K3 and various lenses. I've decided to move to Sony A7, though I'm not sure which body, yet. I'm anxiously waiting for the announcement of the A7IV before deciding. In the meantime, I just purchased the Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS, and am seriously considering the lens discussed here, the Sony FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS.

I'm an amateur photographer and mostly like to take outdoor photos - landscape, scenery, wildlife, BIF as the opportunity arises, and lots of water-related photos. Of course, there are the smattering of indoor photos, too. After almost two years of having trips canceled due to COVID, we're starting to travel again. We have an Alaska cruise in August, we're taking a 16-day road trip in Utah and Arizona, visiting many of the national and state parks there, including Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Arches, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, etc. In January, we have an expedition cruise to Antarctica, followed by Australia and New Zealand in February. That's why I'm looking to upgrade before these trips.

A few questions, please:

1. Some of you use the 24-105 as your everyday lens. Do you feel F4 is fast enough for everyday use?

I have found the 24-105 to be plenty fast enough for everyday use on my A7RIV. I have never come across a situation where I felt like I needed a lens that would let more light through because I can bump up the ISO a whole lot before I have to start worrying about noise. At portrait distances and around 80mm I find the the bokeh is both pleasing and shallow enough that I can make a subject pop from the background without needing a larger aperture for an even narrower DOF.

I have a 100mm F/2.8 macro lens if I need shallower DOF but find that I almost never use it.

2. If I go with the 24-105 and have the 100-400, what other lens would you recommend?

I have found that I use my 24-105 about 80% of the time on my A7RIV. In most situations I have stopped carrying a telephoto zoom because I have so many croppable pixels from my A7RIV. The other lens that I use about 15% of the time is my 12-24mm F/4 which I love for creating a feeling of vastness with a subject in the foreground in front of an expansive background.

3. Though I'm not made of money, I can afford to buy the A7RIV, but I don't like wasting money. 61MP is a lot, and I don't make huge prints, so it's overkill in most situations. Of course, since I do like wildlife photos, it does give me the option to crop and still have detail. I'm hoping the A7IV will be in the 30MP range, giving at least a 20% increase from the A7III. I could get the A7RIII and 42MP would be great, but I'm adverse to buying things that are older vintage. Am I wrong? What suggestions do you have?

I went back and forth between an A7RIII and an A7RIV. 60mp just seemed too big. I love my A7RIV and I am very happy that I went with it over the A7RIII. I do find that I crop pictures a lot more than I used... because I can without really sacrificing the image quality.

4. If I wait for the A7IV, I know it won't be out in time for Alaska next month or the National Parks in September. Since I'll have at least two FE lenses by then, I could rent a body. Or do you think it makes more sense to buy a used A7III or A7RIII and sell it if the A7IV is a good upgrade. I realize I'll take a loss, especially after the A7IV release, but the loss may be less than the rental charge on a body for these two trips.

Last November I decided to purchase my A7RIV even though the release of the A7IV was imminent at that time. Instead of the A7IV we got the A1 which is WAY out of my price range. Nobody knows when the A7IV will be released and what the specs will be. Sony will spec the camera very carefully to avoid stealing any market share from their other FE cameras.

MikeInOr's gear list:MikeInOr's gear list
Sony SLT-A55 Sony a7R IV Sony 20mm F2.8 Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow