13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,344
Re: 13x19 printer that clears clogs easily?

At this point I don't care whether or not I get another Epson. I just need a printer that works reliably when it won't get used for weeks or months at a time. I'm just printing for my own hobby use. Windows 10.

Also considering a larger printer, but not if it develops clogs.

The generally-reported experience appears to be that, in a reasonable environment (temperature, humidity, dustiness), and using OEM ink in OEM cartridges, (1) recent models of Canon printers only very rarely develop significant clogs, and almost never develop fatal ones; and (2) Epson dye-ink printers either do not develop significant clogs or are easy enough to clear with one or two ordinary self-cleanings. Although Epson pigment-ink printers seem to have improved, I don't think many people are likely to say that a new P700 or P900 would be substantially more clog-resistant than your P600. So the options are:

* Canon iP8720 / iP8750, 13x19", 5 colors of dye ink;

* Epson XP-15000, 13x19", 6 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-200, 13x19", 8 colors of dye ink;

* Canon Pro-300, 13x19", 8 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer; and

* Canon Pro-1000, 17x25", 10 colors of pigment ink plus chroma optimizer.

FWIW, at home I have an Epson that uses Claria dye inks, the same basic line as the XP-15000. At times it has gone more than three months without printing. I average less than one small clog (as shown on a nozzle check) per year, and that has always cleared with one (or maybe on one occasion two) basic self-cleaning.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow