Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
José B
José B Forum Pro • Posts: 19,642
Re: Rangefinder design is better.

sportyaccordy wrote:

José B wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Brian Chichester wrote:

I'm not actually surprised that you didn't let my comment go by.

I get that you don't like the A6000 EVF and think it's abysmal, whereas I think it's adequate. Perhaps my eyesight is better than yours.

Bringing in other EVFs that you say are better is not going to change my view that, in comparison to some old optical VFs, the A6000 is luxury. There's always something either better or worse.

I'm kind of confused on what your point is. IS it that since you find the A6000's EVF to be OK for you, nobody can say anything negative about it?

Sure it's better than some old OVFs. Why is that relevant? Nobody is comparing the A6000 to old film cameras. In 2021, compared to other EVFs on the market, the A6000's (and Sony's 2.3M EVF in general) is not good.

I haven’t compared the two at a camera store but is the EVF of the A7III much better than the A6600 or do you have to get the A7RIV to see a massive improvement?

IIRC all the Sony 2.3MP EVFs- which is in the A6600 & A7III- are the same. I think you have to get the A7R3 or A9 to get the 3.6MP EVF

The implementation of that EVF is also a bit lacking IME..... it has been nearly 2 years since I've used a Sony camera so I can't remember all the details, but one of the things that immediately struck me about my EOS R was how nice the 3.6MP EVF rendered. It felt way more like an OVF and less like a camcorder from the 90s. In particular, low light rendering was super nice- more color accuracy and general detail in the shadows. I'm going to miss that.

I'll take your word for it because I haven't tried any EVFs which are brighter than my A6500. It's just a waiting game for me now. We haven't scheduled any travel yet but most likely that will be late next year. Not sure if I'll be able to shoot sports this year thus my existing equipment is more than enough for that. Right now I'm looking forward to an A6600 replacement and if that doesn't materialize by mid next year I might just go and buy the R6 + vertical grip and be done with it.

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Sony a6500 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow