Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,036
ISO800 and f11?

Something I just caught was that the picture was shot at ISO800 and f11.  While f11 is typically not horrible, you are certainly losing some resolution due to diffraction and don't need the extra DOF.  There is also some loss from using ISO800. Any losses are made more significant due to cropping.

I'm not being critical as in the heat of shooting, I make mistakes (or more generously, use less than optimum shooting settings) all the time.

Outdoors on a sunny day with still to slow-moving subjects, I think it would have been better to use aperture priority and set the ISO to 100 or 200 (to reduce any blur), and set the f-number at f8 or f5.6. At f8 and ISO100 the shutter speed would have been about 1/400th and at f5.6 it would have been 1/800th.

BTW, indoors with the R5, I will typically use Manual mode with the ISO set to Auto. I then set the aperture and shutter speed based on the situation (subject motion) and let the camera figure out the ISO. I will monitor the ISO to make sure it not getting crazy, but I find with DXO with DeepPrime I am very happy with shots at least up to ISO10,200.

Kokopelli_Rocks wrote:

Max5150 wrote:

Whats the files size of that crop, or how many pixels?

Here is the original File - jpg from camera.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow