Early thoughts on 16-80

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
HatWearingFool
OP HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,674
To clarify…

HatWearingFool wrote:

Yesterday I received my brand new 16-80. I've been fairly negative regarding this lens since it was released. For it's performance I've felt it to be overpriced, but Fujifilm has been having a sale on the lens here in Canada for just over a month now.

With the sale nearing it's end I've been going back and forth on wether or not I should get it. It's now $774 (regularly $1079). I've always felt it should be priced around 750-800 so I figured I should just bit the bullet.

It does balance better than I initially thought it would on my x-t20. It's about the same size as my viltron 85 MK1 but lighter. The Viltrox is the largest lens I can easily use one handed with the x-t20 and the 16-80 is quite a bit easier.

The autofocus seems snappy and the OIS works well.

Also this feels like the first Fuji lens I have (out of 6) with a decent lens cap, so that's progress.

Really it's a solid lens except for the optics. Unfortunately I think it's hard to justify this lens for it's regular price based on the optical quality, but at the current 30% off I think it's worth it.

Here is a photo (jpeg from camera, but edited) taken last night. I took this one handed, in the wind, in the dark, while lighting it with my cellphone held in the other hand. I was happily surprised with the result. I tried to time the gusts of wind as best I could.

What I was trying to say is that the build of the lens, feel, lens cap, hood, lack of creep seems to be worthy of the original cost, but the optical quality is not in my opinion.

At the new sale price I think that’s a fair price for the optical quality.

Kind of weird because a lot of the earlier lenses are great optically but the feel of them and things like hoods and caps seem to not be worth the price…. so kind of a reversal.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow