Linear Polarizer for X100V

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Bill from Oregon
Bill from Oregon Contributing Member • Posts: 535
Re: Linear Polarizer for X100V

a_c_skinner wrote:

I did try a linear polariser on my D200 and it seemed to work OK but yes, that is why CPLs are now recommended and an interesting explanation of the physics.

As to skies 35mm on full frame, 23 on APS will be OK almost always. 24/15 will show the objectionable variation in sky colour.

My best tip for any filter is to take an image with and without it, I've spoiled almost as many images with a filter as ones I've hugely improved. The filters I've got stay at home now. Modern sensors and modest processing instead. If I were shooting something with a lot of specular reflections I might have a rummage round for a polariser but I don't.

Way back in the days of shooting film, I had a 28mm lens that I loved using on landscape shots. It seemed to me that a polarizer worked especially well to complement the look of Kodachrome film.

If I were to shoot a horizontal shot with the the sky filling the entire top of the frame, I'd get that objectionable light to dark variation in the sky. So I'd avoid such shots. Instead, I'd either shoot vertical orientation or I'd shoot horizontally filling a significant portion of either left or right with a near-by rock, tree, or other object.

Bill

Bill from Oregon's gear list:Bill from Oregon's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow