Off topic, but perhaps of interest. "What cataracts look like."

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Rand 47
OP Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Re: Off topic, but perhaps of interest. "What cataracts look like."

mplkn wrote:

This is hugely relevant to me, as I'm just now at the beginning of this little paragraph (hopefully less than a chapter) of my journey.

We've been watching, the doc and I, the development of cataracts in both my eyes, the right worse than the left, for several years now. It was at my most recent exam that it came to a head.

I had gone into the exam thinking it was high time for a new prescription for my eyeglasses; the darned glasses were just bothering me, clearly it was time for new glasses, I thought.

The doc agreed after we took a first look: something was clearly out of whack.

But when he sat me down at the ophthalmoscope, everything suddenly made sense; the cataracts we'd been watching for several years had now reached the tipping point. How bad? The doc said it wouldn't make sense to give me a new prescription for my glasses yet, because the cataracts had to be dealt with first, both eyes, and then we could do a new prescription for my post-surgical eyeballs afterwards.

Owing to my retirement, the time I could devote to photography had, as of January 1st, taken a major leap forward. So, to say the least, I'm motivated to see this through.

Surgical consultation in August, surgery likely to follow closely thereafter.

Thanks for bringing this topic up. It's pretty darned important to everyone blessed with sight, but especially to those of us who've been blessed with the pursuit of the art and craft that brings us together to these pages

Updates to follow...

Yes!  Our paths are running parallel.  Obviously, my comments are “one person’s experience only,” but I’ll share some encouragement.   I’ll give you the take-ways’ first.  I’m only two days “post” the last surgery.  The first was only a week prior to that.  I decided on two parameters: 1.  I’d have them use the laser to nuke the cataracts.  This also had the possibility of correcting the minor astigmatism  I have.  2.  I opted for single distance vision lenses as opposed to other options that could also take care of presbyopia to some degree, perhaps allowing a completely “glasses free” result.   I have been wearing progressive lens glasses for so many years that they have become “part of who I am” - for lack of a better way to express it.  So, the idea of being able to be completely glasses free wasn’t a big deal to me.   I, too, had experienced a sudden rapid degradation of vision in the last six months or so before we pulled the trigger on surgery.

Results:  The surgeon says that my vision will continue to improve for the next week or so as things “settle in.”  (That’s my lay description of his medical explanation! LOL)  But I can tell you this, I “think” my astigmatism is completely gone because I can read very small text at a distance on my TV screen that I couldn’t even read with glasses on before.  I’m amazed.  My reading and computer glasses still work, but are too strong.  I’ll have to back off on the correction a bit, and may even be able to just buy nice quality “cheaters” rather than Rx ones.  The difference in my vision is ASTOUNDING and makes me realize how much it had gradually declined over the last several years, and especially in the last 6 months.  I can echo what your doc said re the futility of a fresh Rx to compensate.  I had a good Rx and my vision was still blurred to some degree.  Colors are “cleaner” and the whole world looks more cheerful somehow.  Another unanticipated benefit is in the area of depth perception. Mine had always been excellent.  Beyond normal.  Over the last year or so, I had been commenting to my wife that it felt like my depth perception was going away a bit.  After the surgery, it’s back!  Here’s my very unscientific explanation.  The yellowish “wash” over everything, and the slight blurring tended to flatten everything out, compressing things visually.  With less contrast and color “definition” it impacted my sense of depth and separation between near / adjacent / far objects.  At any rate, the difference, post surgery, is noticeable and welcome.

So, be encouraged!  We live in marvelous times.  The boon to those in the visual arts is a true blessing.  I’m grateful beyond words.

Rand

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow