* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #689 on 2021 07 07 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris Oly Veteran Member • Posts: 5,983
Re: Tropics

Mike Fewster wrote:

Chris, my comments reflect some personal biases I have about dof and I am well aware that it is a viewpoint not widely shared.

With close up images like these, I look at what is and what isn't in sharp focus. Both are taken close up at 150mm and F2.8 and so have very limited dof. In both shots the petal edges are sharp while the central stamens are soft. The shapes of the petals however take our eyes straight to the centres. I feel that both shots would have more impact if that central area had been sharper.

Your Oly EM1mk3 has a feature that I would dearly love to have on my camera. You can bracket focus points and then stack the images. This would still leave the softfocus background.

Further thoughts. I much prefer 1 to 2. The extra details and lighting on the surrounding leaves and buds give a more interesting framing of the flower. The light to shadow gradations in 1are softer and more pleasing as well to my eye.

Thanks very much for your comments. I tried one with stacking and one without. Very interesing results.

with

without

Chris Oly's gear list:Chris Oly's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow