Digiscoping VS. BIG glass??

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 37
Digiscoping VS. BIG glass??

I’m totally new to wildlife photography but my job as a ranch manager, wildlife manager and outfitter means that I am constantly out in nature and that I have opportunities to photograph a lot of wildlife. I’m trying to figure out whether my Swarovski ATX 85mm spotting scope (the finest spotter glass available) with a Swaro digiscoping adapter would work as well as, say, a Sony FE 200-600mm G OSS lens? Would the quality of the images, off of a tripod, be comparable? I’m currently using a Sony A7Riv but will likely be adding a A7Siii pretty soon.

I spend a LOT of time behind a spotting scope studying wildlife, in my job. A big part of my work is determining the age, health and condition of various species. I’d like to start photographically documenting many of the animals and I’ve begun wondering whether combining a high quality camera to my spotting scope would give me images that I could, then, crop in on with the computer- to see details that simply aren’t visible to the eye, when looking through eyepiece. Conversely, I was wondering whether a camera, like my A7Riv, mounted on that 200-600mm lens (particularly if the camera was in ASP-C mode) and using the internal digital zoom would provide me a better image of an animal?

I realize that out at vast distances we have the issues caused by atmosphere (like mirage) but I’m talking about, for the sake of discussion, ideal conditions and distances where these aberrations aren’t significant. Let’s say a cool, dry winters day and there’s a deer or elk 400-600 yards away… will the image quality be roughly equal or will one method be vastly better? With that A7Riv’s 61megapixles, you can certainly crop WAY in on an image IF the lens glass is capable of getting a clear image.

Sure would be nice to find another use for the almost $5k spotting scope I own; and to not need to invest another $2k in that cannon of a lens! Lol!

Sure appreciate finding this community, where I can get answers like this from people with experience! Thanks to any that reply!

- Nick

Sony a7 Sony a7R Sony a7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow