Video exposure question - Sony A7Riv

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Zendit_Outdoors Junior Member • Posts: 37
Re: Video exposure question - Sony A7Riv

pforsell wrote:

When you're in auto-exposure mode, like aperture priority, you cannot change exposure by adjusting aperture. You are just trading aperture size for shutter speed, but the exposure as a whole remains constant. Hence you have the zebras (overexposure warning) showing the whole time. You achieve nothing when you close aperture down one stop, because the the camera decreases shutter speed one stop - as a whole you're back where you started.

You should probably use Exposure Compensation, or switch to manual exposure mode.

-- hide signature --

Peter
_
Jedem das Seine, mir das Meiste!

Thanks for the comment. I’m still trying to wrap my head around all this. Lol. So, my understanding is that if I want that ‘cinematic’ look to my video and I’m filming in 24p, I need to keep my shutter speed at 1/50. This is correct, right? I’m trying to figure out how to lock in this configuration and, then, how to determine and set the proper exposure. To achieve this, I had thought that I could put the camera in Shutter priority at that 1/50. THEN, if my Zebras are turned on and set at 100, I could adjust the aperture until the zebras disappeared - and their disappearance would indicate a proper exposure. This is incorrect? Could you explain how I can figure out the proper exposure when the shutter speed is locked on 1/50?

I will be getting some ND filters next week.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

Nick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow