Off topic, but perhaps of interest. "What cataracts look like."

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rand 47
Rand 47 Senior Member • Posts: 1,452
Off topic, but perhaps of interest. "What cataracts look like."

In the past two weeks I've had cataract and lens replacement surgery in both eyes. My eye doc and I have been keeping an eye on things (pardon the pun) for the past few years and over the last six months or so I saw rapid deterioration in my visual acuity and terrible flare when driving at night - to the point that I quit driving at night. My "computer glasses" were no longer cutting the mustard for judging sharpness, even with a very recent update to the Rx.

After the first surgery I was not only astounded by the change in visual acuity, but was positively depressed at the amount of color contamination I've been living with. Thank goodness for Charlie Cramer teaching me to set initial color balance using L a b and getting neutrals to 0:0 on the a and b channels as a starting place.

Then, I got to thinking (always dangerous) that I'd only have one good eye and one bad eye for a week - between surgeries. So I had a flash of inspiration and took a standard printer test file into Photoshop. I put a new layer on top, then opening and closing, good eye / bad eye and toggling the layer on and off, I replicated the color cast and decrease in contrast and sharpness I had been living with in the bad eye. I made a few other minor tweaks to the layer to get "what looked to me" like a perfect match of the bad eye, with the good eye!

Here's a three image example that I printed out and took to my eye surgeon today during my first follow up visit after my second surgery:

Pretty self explanatory.

Hope this is somewhat interesting for those approaching the level of geezerhood I've attained. I can say that the world looks amazing with "clean eyes." The majority of the prints hanging in my house that are recent enough to have been processed and printed with this visual challenge, look good, just "cleaner" colors. A couple I will warm up a bit and reprint, and one or two are over sharpened, but for the most part I'm amazed I did as well as I did looking through dirty windows.

Rand

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow