Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kokopelli_Rocks
Kokopelli_Rocks Senior Member • Posts: 2,565
Maybe I messed up or maybe the R5 saved me

My Son recently graduated high school and I wanted to capture a few images. The challenge was the distance. Due to COVID the graduation was held in the HS football stadium. Also, those attending had to be seated, unless invited (school and press photographers). To get a decent angle on the stage we sat in the closest stands to the stage, (not very close). My other challenge was my lens options. At the time I only had two telephoto lenses, an EF 70-200 f4 and a Sigma 150-600 c. The Sigma would be great expect for size. Even with COVID the stands were pretty full. Plus, I wanted to enjoy the ceremony with my family, or as Joel Sartore says 'Pet the Whales'. My other challenge was being new to the R5 at the time. I am still learning, but was really learning at the time.

Below are two images. The first is the 70mm view from my seat. and the second image is 200mm and then cropped. I also processed the images with DxO.

70mm view from my seat

200mm image processed with DxO and cropped

For being new to the R5 I was pleased with the results. I took a few images of my neighbors kids and the parents were very pleased with the results. They could not believe I shot the images form the stands.

I did not have high expectations for the final images after the ceremony, but I am pleased with the results. I printed an 8.5x11 of the above image on my Canon Pro9000 and the print looks great.  I am very happy with how much I can crop the R5 image.

Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list:Kokopelli_Rocks's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sony RX100 III +21 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow