D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,299
Re: D850 Replacement or end of the DSLR line for Nikon?

ericbowles wrote:

PK24X36NOW wrote:

ericbowles wrote:

If you really see a high quality action camera in mirrorless with a fast readout, there is little reason to stay with a DSLR other than using AF-D lenses.

There's plenty of "reason." An OVF will always be "real time," and an EVF will never be "real time." DSLR battery life will always be better, and the less I have to worry about making sure the battery is charged, the better.

I've learned Always is not likely to be true. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed, and it's quite possible even today to deliver a fast readout for the EVF through dual pixel and line skipping readouts. Try zooming your OVF to check focus, watch head position, or to check other details.

Battery life for DSLR cameras has tremendous variation, and the D850 battery life is nearly double the life of the same EN-EL15 battery in a D300. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue if your camera is configured properly.

Not to mention that the EVF is an electronic part with a short path to obsolescence as the camera ages (as in, the new models will have different and likely incompatible EVF "parts"). While sensors will last quite a long time because they're only used when actually shooting, an EVF is used continuously every time you're looking through the viewfinder. That means heat buildup which is the enemy of electronics. When that EVF display goes belly up, and the "replacement parts" are no longer available, you potentially have a useless camera unless you like "cell phone style" shooting.

I don't know that I've ever heard this argument before. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF. I would concede that an LCD could fail under extreme cold temperatures because I have seen a laptop screen fail due to cold temperatures in Green Bay during winter about 10 years ago, but technology today makes that less likely. Personally, I'd bet on shutter failure or focus failure far sooner than EVF failure.

Some of us just don't want a mirrorless downgrade, OK? And "other than" using AF-D lenses is akin to saying "other than" using every lens (or damn near every lens) you have for many. So yes, that by itself is plenty of reason to stay with DSLRs.

Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Let's take all your points

1. The EVF time delay and any blackout is simply related to readout speed,

I don't see EVF delay as a problem for me. Even if EVFs are not "there" yet, it will be at some point. There's no reason for me to be a beta tester.

2. The Z cameras have continued to improve battery life to the point where it's a non-issue

Would not be a problem for me. Batteries continue to get better, I could carry an extra couple. A non issue.

3. I certainly have never heard of an LCD failure in the rear LCD or EVF as a result of heat or use. In the scheme of potential sources of failure, this one is extremely unlikely. You'll likely have other issues that cause failure far before the EVF.

Not something I would be concerned with. If mirrorless was so much better and I needed something from it, I wouldn't consider this a big risk.

4. Personal choice is certainly a good reason to stick with a DSLR, specific lenses, or simply to avoid a new technology even if it's a little better.

See below.

5. I actually have found my old manual focus lenses are much easier to use with mirrorless, so AF-D lenses or the equivalent is less important than the benefit of easier focus with other lenses.

Nikon did not implement the use of f mount manual focus lenses very well, and AF-D to focus not implemented at all. I think "easier focus with other lenses" is splitting hairs. But.......... I have one or two manual focus Nikkors and no AF-D lenses, so not an issue for me.

But the problem I have (re: your #4) with ML is that my D4s, D850 and D500 are all better than "good enough" Further to that, I have no interest in spending thousands and thousands of dollars to migrate to a system that at best is marginally better in some areas. I will not use an FTZ to use f mount lenses on an ML body, and the truth of it is that most if not all Zee lenses can be duplicated IQ wise in f mount. Sigma 40 Art is a prime example (pun or no pun - you decide)

If the Z9 is what it "might be" from the rumours, I'd consider a used one in a couple of years time, IF it had an f mount.

ML technology will keep getting "pushed" as 1. There's more $$$ for the manufacturer as they're a toy to build and it seems can be sold for more money than a more expensive to build DSLR, and 2. Canon and Nikon are doomed to have to follow Sony, whether due to product or brand recognition. But a lot of the new stuff is just additional bells and whistles to start with.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------
I enjoy my Nikon gear. But as has been pointed out to me "it’s a declining, decaying system based upon ancient technology" Funny that, never noticed.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow