Just bought my first Fuji - is LR really that awful?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
21William Contributing Member • Posts: 671
Re: Just bought my first Fuji - is LR really that awful?

Bill Ferris wrote:

Ysarex wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

Ysarex wrote:

SlothRock wrote:

I know this may bring up a lot of different opinions but I just bought my first Fuji camera (used xt4) that I am really excited to get! I've been seeing differing opinions on this forum around LR and how it's supposedly awful for Fuji cameras with the X Trans sensor. I have the paid $10/mo LR version and I love doing just quick edits on my phone, especially while traveling. I'm not really up for having to do that Iridient X Transformer method as I prefer just transferring photos directly to my phone, editing in LR and moving on.

If I have to, I will switch to another app and cancel LR to be able to keep this level of convenience up but I have learned a lot about LR from shooting with my 80D so I'm hopeful the paid subscription LR is good to go for this use case. Thoughts around the forum?

Yes it's that awful -- switch to Capture One.

Totally unnecessary, and as usual, overplayed. There is a simple, in-app solution that works well, as described in an earlier post. C1 is an excellent app, but suggesting that the only way to deal with this issue is to change apps is flat wrong and has been disproved in a ton of examples both here and elsewhere. It's also a significantly more expensive way of dealing with an issue that can be dealt with in a way that doesn't require moving to an entirely different processing solution.

If you disagree, please at least offer some examples or other data which shows LR/ED to be an unacceptable solution.

LR/ED is a kludge. The fact that it exists is hard proof that LR without it sucks -- there was no reason to create it if LR worked well in the first place -- it's admission of failure. LR/ED creates a linear DNG -- very slowly. That linear DNG is huge because it's basically a 16 bit TIFF in a DNG wrapper. Now you're stuck saving that along with the raw file -- "kludge" is kind. Yes it's that awful.

Can't offer examples so doubles down on insults. Name-calling may be persuasive in some circles but doesn't carry much weight at the adult table.

Replace it with poor then.

https://photographylife.com/adobes-poor-handling-of-raw-files

21William's gear list:21William's gear list
Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow