* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #689 on 2021 07 07 *

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,621
Re: Socially Distanced

P3T3S wrote:

On my way through the station to catch my train home from Berlin, I came across a large pavement art-work. It was to draw attention to people whose lockdown is indefinitely extended, due to their extreme vulnerability, and can become extremely isolated. It was a portrait of a man with asthma type 2, and done using pieces of “keep your distance” tape, which we are now used to seeing stuck to the floor everywhere to indicate where to stand in queues.

Pete

First, the artwork itself. I am in awe of the skills behind this piece. The leap of imagination that was made to link the tape to the subject is the absolute essence of art and art at it's best. Then there is the image itself. Any idea of how it was made? Did the artist create it on the spot and construct it as he/she went? Did they use a computer program to create a high contrast image made of strips and then transfer this to the pavement? If the first, I am in utter awe. If the second, I am still hugely impressed.

Pete's photo does it justice. The camera position creates involving diagonals of the strips. We are close enough to read the message on the strips and understand the significance of the choice of medium for the subject. The wa also lets us see almost the complete image. To round it out, the message is driven home by the two masked figures and the linking lines in the pavement. The taped off fence restricting access to the image adds irony as well as visual continuity.

Simply brilliant.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow