Nikon AF-S 24-120 f4 VR vs Tamron 35-150 f2.8-4 VC ?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP Peter in Canberra Senior Member • Posts: 1,118
Re: Nikon AF-S 24-120 f4 VR vs Tamron 35-150 f2.8-4 VC ?

bluzman wrote:

I have both lenses. The Nikon AF-S FX 24-120mm f/4G ED VR came as a kit lens with my D750. The images I've taken with it are great...sharp, good color. A close friend who also has a D750 and the 24-120mm that he got 5/6 years ago, produces excellent images with the combo. That's certainly a testimony to their reliability.

What I wanted, however, was a walking around lens with a bit more reach. Because of that, I acquired the Tamron AF 35-150mm F/2.8-4 Di VC OSD. It doesn't go quite as wide (35mm vs 24mm) but at its widest, it's faster than the Nikon (2.8 vs 4.0). It, too, takes great images.

I don't think that the image stabilization (VR/VC) is different between the two lenses. I do think the Tamron's AF is a bit quicker.

It's a tough decision but for my requirements, at least, the Tamron was right choice.

BTW, I also wanted to be able to go wider with the D750 so I got the Tamron AF 17-35mm F/2.8-4 Di OSD lens to take care of that.

thanks bluzman. so it's pretty even in terms of performance characteristics.

I often can get away with just 35-150 it seems but a little wider might be more useful than a little longer,. I should look more closely at the focal lengths of shots already taken (mostly the same venues)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow