Tripod height question

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
calson Forum Pro • Posts: 10,570
Re: Tripod height question

It depends in part on if he plans on air travel and does not mind having the tripod in his checked baggage. If photographing animals in trees (cats, birds, reptiles) or high up on a slope (bison, elk, sheep, etc.) then he will want an additional 4-6 inches of "working height".

The gimbal head adds 3 inches to the height of the lens from the top of the tripod. I had a RRS TVC-34L tripod with a working height of 68 inches but when collapsed it was 24.4 inches in length and too long to fit in the overhead compartment on a plane. I replaced it with the Feisol CT-3472 that has a working height of 58" until the Feisol center column kit for it is added. The center column provides an additional 3 inches of height with no column extended and I can raise it by 4 inches for 7  inches in total gain with a rock solid support for a 600mm f/4 lens and pro camera mounted on a gimbal head. The lens can be supported up to 68 inches above the ground.

The Feisol CT-3472 collapses down to 20.5 inches and so it easily fits inside the overhead compartment placed perpendicular to the aisle and so only takes 4 inches of space (room on top for a second tripod and jackets). I have had to much checked baggage lost or badly damaged over the years.

With our last trip to the Pantanal in 2019 the airline lost the checked Pelican case for 24 hours and fortunately I had allowed an extra day before the guide was to pick us up at the hotel for our trip. At least 100% of our photo equipment was taken onto the plane and so only clothes, toiletries, and other less essential items were lost for a day.

-- hide signature --

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment." Ansel Adams

calson's gear list:calson's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow