The Zomei 0.45x wide adapter.

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,331
The Zomei 0.45x wide adapter.

I bougt my Zomei Wide adapter (0.45 x72mm) some quite a while back, and it really didn't work well.

I tried it with various 70-300 lenses (and similar zooms) and it just didn't really work. No focus at infinity was one of the problems once was pointed out by a Youtube reviewer, years ago, after I had bought my copy from Amazon.

After that bad news, I almost threw mine away and eventually forgot all do it. but today I found it deep into a drawer filled with surplus stuff, like old camera add-ons.

I looked at it and suddenly got thinking about my old Nikon 1 10/2.8 lens that became so much better with a Panasonic  DMW-GWC1 0.79X wide adapter, which is a long story in itself.

Maybe I should try this old Zomei wide adapter on a wide prime instead of my zooms, just as the Nikon 110 I had tried before (I call it my 8 now)?!.

Zomei makes a lot of stuff, not least tripods and a lot of wide adapters, as you might know.

These 0.45X wide adapters come in various sizes, from 40.5 to 77mm (according to Amazon), and mine is a 72mm version, which didn't work with my long zooms years ago  (in the wide end it was kind of OK, but nothing else, so a total waste of money).

But as a Panasonic wide adapter worked with my Nikon 1 10 lens, waybe this big clse-up adapter would fit my Sigma 30 Art?

Sadly it proved to the wrong size (and I didn't have a fitting step-up ring) but a 62-67mm step-up ring worked great, as it fitted perfectly inside the adapter's threaded mount, to my surprise. Just press-fitted, no glue or anything else needed.

So now it now behaves like a 21.5/1.4 DX lens, perfectly (no serious testing done yet), My old wide F Mount lens is a Voigtlander 20/3.5 SL II, not really superbly sharp at the edges when used on an F Mount camera, , so this Sigma is a gigantic step forward, being both faster and having spedy and quiet autofocus. When used with my CX cameras it behaves like a 58mm equivalent, a focal length I really like.
As yet only some test shots,

This is how it looks like, on my D7500, not a perfect shot, but gives you an idea:

A lot of dust, sorry!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +23 more
Tord S Eriksson's score
Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow